 Local / United States / 198
Re: Ref visit to new york
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:55:17 GMT

What part of NY?

I can tell you about NY City. In Manhattan the custom is to charge 10% more than
usual for Lego. The major chain stores to get it are Toys R Us, Kmart, Bradlees,
and the lesser stores are KB Toys (20% markup!), Zany Brainy, maybe others.
Bradlees and Zany Brainy have fairer prices. If it's marked $6, $10, $20, $30,
$50, or $80 it's probably fair but $8, $11, $22 or $25, $33 are signs that the
store marks up! Just a rule of thumb you might use.

You can hit 3 stores in Manhattan by going to 14th and Broadway (Union Square)
on the 4-5-6 green subway. There is a Toys R Us here that has large shelves of
Lego, but they mark up. The Bradlees across the square has lower prices but not
as much selection. Finally, there is a KMart down a few blocks at Astor Place.
(Sometimes I start at Astor Place because Kmart has a door right on the subway
platform!)

The most expensive Lego in Manhattan of course is at FAO Schwarz on 5th Avenue
just below Central Park. Can be fun to look at. Other Lego stops are the Toys R
Us and KB Toys at 34th and 6th Av (Herald Square by Macy's Department Store) --
the KB is underground and not worth the trouble. There's a Kmart in Penn Station
by the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) if you're passing through.

One more place that is very pleasant (with the occasional bargain) is Zany
Brainy, at I think 72nd St and Lexington (across from a movie theatre.) There is
another cute toy store at about 77th and Lexington that carries Lego and there
is another Toys R Us in that part of town too.

Sometimes the Toy Building has a big Lego window, though Megabloks has an office
there too and they too get turns to decorate the window! The Toy Building is a
few blocks downtown from Herald Square... I think it's on 6th Av but, um, maybe
5th...

Outside Manhattan, the best deals are at Target or Walmart stores, but there is
way to do that without a car. New Jersey seems to be the land of plenty--I hear
amazing things. I'm not an expert on Brooklyn but I know Lego spots in Queens,
probably not worth your trouble to find.

Oh, one last thing, I'd be happy to give you a Lego tour if you are here! (email
me)

If you are not actually in NY City, then, maybe somebody else will speak up.
Outside NYC, Walmart stores are generally good places to pick up Lego.

-Erik