 Local / United Kingdom / 9499
Re: Lego Brand Stores Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 12:43:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, David Tabner wrote:
One thing I have been doing as an Ambassador is compiling questions from AFOLs
regarding the Lego Brand Stores in the UK.

I will shortly be sending them off (and afterwards hopefully receiving some
answers).

If anyone here has any relevant questions, queries or mysteries that they'd like
addressing please contact me at phoenix_datX@Xyahoo.Xco.Xuk and I will add them
to my list.

Thanks,
David
Lego Ambassador

PS: The deadline is Friday mid-morning.

I received the answers to the questions. They were sent to the Global BR
Operations Director of Lego.

1:
Why isn't there a Brand Store in the centre of London? Say, on Oxford or
Regent's Streets perhaps.

Cost/Profit prohibitive.

2:
Why are there none in the North of England or anywhere in Wales, Scotland or
Ireland?

We choose our locations based on many variables, some of the main criteria are
price/availability/demographics/and also proximity for distribution.

3:
Now that Legoland Windsor is owned by Merlin, what are the status of it's shops
to Lego? (principally the Main and PaB shops)

Owned and operated by Merlin.

4:
Why don't the brand shops seem to have any discounted items nowadays? 'Sales and
Deals' prices as Lego Shop@Home might be nice.

We work with LEGO S@H to align prices where possible. We sell the products at
LEGO Recommended prices, this allows us to be in line with our other RETAIL
PARTNERS.

5:
How successful have the existing shops been?

I can not tell much about that because it is confidential information but will
say that there are some stores that are performing well and some that are not,
as is normal for any Retail organization.

6:
What happened to the Brand Store in Reading?

We could not secure a suitable deal for the site in question.

7:
Why were current Brand Shop sites chosen? Birmingham, Bluewater and MK make
obvious sense but why Kingston and Brighton?

As per commentary in question 2. Added to this is the fact that there are a
large proportion of LEGO Club members in those areas.

8:
Are there any plans for expansion (i.e. more stores)?

At this moment in time we are reviewing our Brand Retail Strategy.

9:
Would it be possible to establish some kind of long term loyalty system for
AFOLs?

We are constantly looking at our Loyalty Programme to make it as attractive to
both parties as possible. We want to ensure that our loyal customers are
rewarded for spending their time and money in our stores. We have no definite
plan at present, but are looking at alternative schemes to the one we are
currently running.

10:
Are there any plans to extend the Community Windows thing to the other stores as
well?

We are looking to extend the Window into the Community programme into all
Trading Brand Retail Stores over the next year.

David
Lego Ambassador