 Local / United Kingdom / 8728
LSMK: Opening day report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:52:34 GMT

The LEGO Brand shop in Milton Keynes opened today, on schedule!

I arrived at about 12pm, and met Jason B there. I was eager to tuck in to
the loose ABS gourmet on show as soon as you enter the shop, but there was a
problem -- the cups had not arrived! I then feared the worse, a wasted 2.5
hr train journey, but the staff assured us they were on their way from
Heathrow. So we left a mobile phone number and went for a wander. Thankfully
at about 12:45 they arrived, so we swiftly made our way back.

As in Cologne, the loose bricks are sold by volume, in a cup. The prices
seem comparable with those in the German store, from what I can remember.
Here they were 5.99  for a small cup and 10.99 for a large one. The large
ones are about the size of a large Coke cup from McDonalds, and having
weighed the 6 I bought now I am home, I can tell you that they hold about
350g of bricks. The cups themselves are quite nice, too, with a lid with a
single stud on it which enables them to stack.

As for the rest of the shop, in addition to the full retail range, they had
most if not all of the S@H sets, including RBR, Guarded Inn, the new (old)
castle set, Guarded Inn, Santa Fe loco and coaches, both WW1 planes and so
on. All were at S@H prices. There was nothing unexpected, and sadly there
were no service packs. They did have the DeskPals though.

The shop was giving away the now-customary 2x1x2 Duplo brick, in yellow,
printed with shop opening details in return for entering a competition. No
idea what could be won, but I did enter a number of times... :-)

Now for the important bit: The loose inventory. While waiting for the cups
to arrive, I took the opportunity to note everything that was on offer. In a
nutshell: standard sized bricks in normal and new colours, very few plates
except in yellow, a limited selection of slopes, a few 'freestyle' animal
heads and other miscellaneous items. The smallest parts on offer are 2x1
bricks, probably, I suspect, so that small kids don't choke on them in the
shop.

There is a knack to filling the tubs to their maximum capacity. As I said
earlier, they are designed to stack which means they have a bump in the
bottom. Unless you pack carefully, the space around this is wasted. So, put
1x2's in around this before you fill with larger bricks!

So without further ado: (all are bricks unless stated)

Orange:
1x4
2x4
2x2
2x2 slope

Lime green:
2x4
1x2

Cyan:
2x2

Light yellow:
1x4
2x4

Tan:
2x2

Yellow:
2x2
2x4
2x4 plate
2x3 plate
4x8 plate
2x4 with smiley face
2x2 with eyes
2x4x2 with curved corners, with lion face

Green:
2x4
1x2
1x4
2x4x2 with curved corners, with hippo face
2x3 with curve (#6215)

Sand green:
2x4
2x2
1x4

Sand blue:
2x4
1x4

Light (Harry Potter Ford Anglia) blue:
1x2

Blue:
2x4
2x2
1x4
1x2
2x2 slope
2x2 inverse slope

White:
1x4
1x2
2x4
2x3 curved
2x2 slope
2x2 inverse slope
1x4x2 fence (#33303)
1x6x2 fence (#30097)

Light grey:
2x2
2x4
2x2
1x4
2x2 slope
2x2 inverse slope

Dark grey:
2x2
2x4
1x4
2x4 plate

Red:
1x2
1x4
2x4
2x2
2x2 slope
2x2 inverse slope
2x3 slope

Black:
1x4
1x2
2x2
2x4
2x2 slope
1x4x6 door frame, and matching door with trans green panes

Transparent:
2x2 slope

One size of wheel, in yellow, and matching tyres, which didn't pay much
attention to
2x2 brick with technic pin for these wheels

Small conifer trees
Small bush (as in 10112)

(E&OE)

That's the lot! Not too bad, I think you'll agree...

Here are the pictures I took:

http://www.btinternet.com/~hmillington/lego/LSMK/

and

Huw