 Local / United Kingdom / 6911
6910  |  6912
Subject:
another reply from lego re UK pricing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:51:51 GMT

Got the following
Thank you for your email. We sell our products at the reccommended
retail price. This differs throughout the countries, due to region
economic changes. It is not the case that we convert our prices. The
price is therefore not exactly the same in every country.

LEGO SHOP AT HOME was not set up as competition to the shops, rather as
a complimentary service offering bulk  bricks  and internet specials.
For years LEGO has had a close relationship with retailers and does not
want to loose this by undercutting them. The market in each country
dictates the recommended retail price for that area, as you will find
with any product whether toy, food or clothes.

This does miss the point I was trying to make to them, that the 10014 (and now the 10013) are 20% more than Germany,
whereas the other sets are 12/13%.

Nor does it reflect the fact that I was specifically asking them about s@h exclusives, which are not available in any
shop anyway, so who are they undercutting?

Whilst we are only talking a few shillings here on these sets, I didnt want to see them using this as a back door way of
introducing price increases, gradually increasing their profits from the UK without increasing their costs one bit.

However, not been much feedback on this topic here, so I guess you guys dont seem so worried. Obviously deeper pockets,
or much greater addiction

So I will stop ranting and close the door on this.

regards
lawrence