 Local / United Kingdom / 6609
Re: frowny ( Re: Power Puller: £34.99 at Argos!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 10:17:11 GMT

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message
Jono,
I hope you have paid despair.com to use the frowny. They have registered • it
as a trademark:
http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=75502288

From the despair.com site
http://www.despair.com/demotivators/frownonthis.html):
=+=
At a press conference, Despair's COO, Dr. E.L.Kersten, announced his
intentions to sue "anyone and everyone who uses the so-called 'frowny'
emoticon, or our trademarked logo, in their written email correspondence. • Ever."

Despair filed suit yesterday in a U.S. District Court in Dallas, alleging
trademark infringement against over 7 million individual Internet users. • The
company has requested separate injunctions granted against each. It is
believed to be the largest single trademark dispute in history.
=+=

Also
http://www.despair.com/frownies.html

=+=
In an unprecedented reversal of policy, Despair Inc. has announced that it
will manufacture and sell legally-approved Frownies(tm) to the buying • public
who desire to continue using them in email.
=+=

They are a liitle tongue in cheek about it... thankfully. :-)

Despair's products should strike a chord with anyone who has worked in a
large corporation, especially American. I used to hate those motivational
posters they had everywhere, and even worse when they would bring in a
motivational speaker to speak to us over lunch. Managers who had no clue
what to do (and often had no clue what the company did or its products
either - having been bought in from a completely different field to add
'management strength' and 'an alternative insight') , couldnt help you with
your job, or provide you the insight you needed, put could sure point to
motivational posters around their room, and tell you that all you needed was
drive and enthusiam and team spirit and this would help you achieve your
goals.......and that you really shouldnt take the fact that the product
doesnt work and that your colleagues are incompetent, or that your customers
are deeply dissatisfied, so negatively - all you need to do is find the
postive things and motivate your team around those, and everything will be
OK. Yeh, right.
(but then I am a brit)

regards
lawrence