 Local / United Kingdom / 6088
6087  |  6089
Subject:
Lego article in UK Marketing Week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:26:14 GMT

This may be old news on the Lugnet.
March 15th issue of Marketing Week carried an article reviewing the Lego
company.

""Like a splash of cold water in the face, this has opened our eyes to what
we are not good at and what we do well" says chief operating officer Poul
Ploughmann.

Sales figures for 2000 have not yet been fully compiled, but Lego's biggest
annual loss to date - in fact, only the second in its 60 year history, is
the result of a devastating collapse in turnover from 1999's £860m.

In the press release published last week, Ploughmann assured Lego lovers
around the world "We know what went wrong and we know what to do about it.""

The article goes on for four pages about how Lego "appear to have spent too
long in Legoland, and lost its grip on reality".  The gist of the article is
that Lego needs to focus on the "core values of the brand"...to those of us
who don't speak "marketing", this seems to mean stopping the brand
extensions (watches, clothes) and getting back to basics.

Lego wants to be the world top family brand "the sort of mission statement
that senior execs love - the sort that is so broad as to indicate a lack of
clear direction".

All of us nod approvingly......

So turn to page 13

Headline: "Lego unveils first TV programme - Lego is venturing into TV
production with the launch of its first television programme, which will be
based on the children's book Little Robots"

Oh dear.....Shall we give up and go home now??