 Local / United Kingdom / 5106
Re: Report on Lego trains at the NEC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 06:21:49 GMT

David,

Congratulations on displaying your train layout. With the Americans now
regulars at train shows its good to see the interest spreading.
Perhaps soon, we'll organise something here in Australia.

Interesting that people thought you were from Lego (*hint hint lego*)

Best of luck for the following displays!

Santosh

In lugnet.loc.uk, David Graham writes:
I have just returned from exhibiting my LEGO trains at the UK's biggest model
railway exhibition at the NEC in Birmingham.

It was a very enjoyable weekend attended by 13,500 people, there were 270
stands including 70 layouts.  The big names from the model railway world
were there - Hornby, Peco, Graham Farrish, Bachmann, Fleischmann etc.

The quotes from the weekend were "can I drive the train with the satellite
dish" and "can I drive the train with the fan" - we don't have many rotary
snow ploughs in the UK.  I think it was one of the most popular items.
There were not many comments of "I didn't know LEGO did trains".  With it
being an exhibition for the keen railway modellers a lot of them had a Lego
train when they were young - and so some of the trains on display brought
back memories.
I was surprised that quite a few of the children had Lego Loco and not the
actual trains.

A lot of people thought I worked for Lego, or I was sponsored by Lego, but
they were impressed when they found it was my own layout and I was letting
the children operate the trains.  They were amazed how robust and reliable
they were.  I was able to tell them about Busy Bee and Lego shop-at-home, so
maybe a few more trains will be sold.

If I get invited back again maybe some other people may like to come and help?

David