 Local / United Kingdom / 4922
4921  |  4923
Subject:
ScotFest challenges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:27:12 GMT

Ian has set us these challenges. I am starting a thread so attendees can
discuss the rules, since he is out of the country for a couple of weeks.

Ian states:

"Meantime, here are two 'great egg race' type building challenges to tax
you until then. Bearing in mind that some people are flying up, I've
kept them small. Both will be judged on the day of the fest, maybe even
a prize for each! More than one entry in each is permissible.

1. Build the tallest, unsupported lego structure from conventional lego
pieces, all of which must fit into a standard Smartie tube (not the 10%
extra free ones either!). The tube must not be distorted in any way, and
the lid must fit as normal. The structure must stand unaided for at
least 30 seconds on our kitchen worktop (which is totally smooth).

2. There will be two house-bricks 60cm apart on our kitchen worktop.
Again using standard lego pieces, build a structure to span the gap in
between which will support two tins of cat food. The tins must be one on
top of the other, and at the exact centre of the span. (The tins have
those bases which interlock). The winner will be the one who uses the
smallest number of pieces. The maximum allowable dimension of any piece
is *8.  The structure must not touch the worktop at any point, only the
two bricks."

My only query is the defnition of "conventional lego pieces":

1 Does this include Technic?
2 Does it include Technic flexi-tubes?

(I would say yes to 1 and no to 2)

What do other attendees think?