 Local / United Kingdom / 4677
Re: Some help with British slang...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:49:59 GMT

Be careful with this if you have a particluar region in mind, as British
slang is strongly regionalised. Scottish English is VERY different (almost
incomprehensible in some cases) to English English. Even in England the
regional variations are quite major. e.g. it is unlikley someone with a
Strong Gordie (Newcastle) accent/phraseology could communicate very
sucsessfully with someone with a Strong West Country (Cornish etc.) accent.
Then South Eastern / London (Cockney) accents are something else altogether.

Scott A wrote in message ...
In lugnet.loc.uk, Greg Majewski writes:
Hi, this may seem odd, but please take me seriously. First of all, I am
American, and therefore ignorant to all other cultures and the specifics • of
their languages. So, I am wondering if I could get some help from some • people
who are British. Could you please supply me with a list of common British
slang and/or words that probably don't exist out of your country? I really
need these for a project that I am presently working on that invloves a
British character. Any and all help is appreciated.
Greg Majewski
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/abs.html

See here:
http://dir.yahoo.com/Reference/Dictionaries/Slang/