 Local / United Kingdom / 4547
4546  |  4548
Subject:
Hamleys weirdness - is this a rumour?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:50:51 GMT

Hi all,
delighted of course at the current Tesco prices - hope I can get some
snowspeeders before you lot buy them all... :)

Found this article on the From Bricks to Bothans website
(http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb/). Has anyone get any info on it?

Cheerio,
Ben   :)

What is This?
08.06.00 | 9:20pm EST | Tim

A little over a week ago, Dorian Sherratt who runs the Star Wars LCAD
Archives came upon an unusual set at a Hamley's store in the UK. In a
repackaged box, the set entitled "Battle for Naboo" came with 2 MTT's, an
AAT, 30 Battle Droids, (not including the ones you get with the MTT's and the
AAT) 20 Gungans and 10 Kaduus for £199.95. But that isn't the interesting
part. In amongst the 30 Battle Droids are a Battle Droid Commander, and
five . . . Security class Battle Droids.

Is this a hoax? Word is that LEGO has never made Sec. Battle Droids. And I
have reason to believe Dorian that he didn't make this up. As reported,
Target stores are putting sets together and reselling them as a group to
reduce stock, but this involves newer sets, and these sets were taken from
their original packaging and placed into a tray in the new box . . .

I have received word from Greg (who works on the yakface.com page and lives
in the UK) that Hamley's did indeed have these sets, and sold them through.
So that leaves the alternative that Hamley's sat down and painted these
droids.

In any case, this could be just someone's custom, but I thought to pass it
along anyway. It's really a big mystery right now. Again, these are NOT made
by LEGO - so don't think that they are issuing exclusives overseas. If any of
FBTB's UK readership can back up this information, please let me know.