 Local / United Kingdom / 4273
Re: lugnet.loc.uk NEEDS YOU! Maintainering volunteers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 12:35:38 GMT

I'm crossposting this to admin.general, with followups set back to loc.uk, as
I'm not sure exactly how getting you your editing cookie will work. That is, I
know that there were plans to tie editing cookies into the membership login
cookie, but I don't know if that's active yet.. or if that means that the old
system has been removed!

In lugnet.loc.uk, Nicholas Allan writes:
I'll volunteer as long as someone gives me an idea of what is required.

Great! :)

Everything (and a little bit more than) you need to know about creating and
editing pages is in this document:

  http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/all

As you know, the UK LUGNET page is at:

  http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/

As to what is required from you - well mostly you'll be deciding that yourself
:)  Currently, the main page is split into three areas:

* UKLUG Reference

  This might be better named "UK Reference" as UKLUG is a bit ethereal at the
moment! But you can decide what you want to put here, for example, the "loc.uk
people" page only has about 4 entries, so it's up to you whether you want to
keep it, advertise it and try to get more entries, or dump it. Or you could
decide to add something new entirely (eg. I always thought a 'Current News'
page would be good, but I was too lazy to maintain it!) :)

* Shopping

  The shopping database <http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/shops-by-area> has had
no input really, so you can decide to keep it, advertise it or retire it. If
there are more UK LUGNET members in the future, you could change the indexes,
so instead of transcluding the </loc/uk/en/shops-index> page, you transclude
</loc/uk/en/~XXX/shops-index>, where ~XXX is a member id. Ie. Essentially
giving editing responsibility for England to someone else, who could then give
other members editing responsibility for their local regions in a similar way.

  Although it might be replaced by a funky database in the future (it looks a
bit ugly at the moment with all the lines and uneven tables), it would be
possible to parse any data from there into the new database.. so any work put
in there wouldn't be wasted!

  I think the "Good Deals" page could work, however after being a student again
for a year I got out of the habit of looking at any good offers in the group,
so I mostly forgot to add them!

* Events

  This has been the most active part! :)  It isn't much more than looking out
for fest-announcements and writing them up in the "Future Fests" page, then
cutting and pasting them to the "Past Fests" page, adding any commentary or
picture-links while you do so!

That should be everything I think :) But feel free to ask any questions! There
is no "right" way to implement the page, as I think that we were the first, and
the only other country that I know has an editor is Denmark, although they do
have a neat idea here:

  http://www.lugnet.com/loc/dk/mandtal

I'm looking forward to see a new perspective and new energy on the UK page, it
is probably overdue a redesign :)

Have Fun!
Richard