 Local / United Kingdom / 3853
3852  |  3854
Subject:
PayPal _NOT_ available to UK users (yet)...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 21:57:38 GMT

This just in from PayPal after a number of e-mails back and forth:

1. You are correct. You could theoretically have an account
without a credit card to pay and receive money for purchases.
However, your email domain will be flagged in our system because
it has .uk in it, identifying you as an international account and
that will be flagged in our system to be shut down because we
don't allow international accounts at this time.

2. Non-delivered address confirmations will result in an account
restriction. Since we won't be able to verify the international
address, this will also result in the account be shut down.

3. The international account issue should be corrected shortly so
that we can provide services to overseas users. There is a big
push for this and the UK will probably be one of the first items
to get the international accessibility.

As it stands, my [briefly] working PayPal account has now been shut down by
mutual agreement 8-(

UK users can obviously get around point 1 with a .com e-mail address. For
point 2, you could use the address of a friend or family member, but I would
be concerned about how the US authorities would view such an action.

Point 3 however is pretty interesting though... With a bit of luck, we'll
have PayPal available to us soon anyway, which of course means that we'll be
able to accept US Dollar payments with (hopefully) zero or minimal
charges!!!

8-)

Just Imagine .oO