 Local / United Kingdom / 3401
Re: Proposal: A web page to showcase people's work
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:07:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Liam Parnell writes:
I propose a "podium" upon which to place the best efforts of individuals
from the UK Lego community.

In other words something a bit like LUGNET CLSotW, but without the voting,
the podium would simply be given to the next cool thing to appear.

This would ideally have a link on the loc.uk web page.

A working title could be "Liquid Nitrogen".

Liam,
Sorta like a weblog then, where you put new stuff at the top, and older stuff
trickles down the list?  (Only, it sounds like in your case, you desire to
limit the default viewing to the single most recent item on the "podium"?)

This sort of thing will be really really easy to do on LUGNET pretty soon --
in fact, what'll soon be available to all members a page-editing system I've
been using to do the CLSotW pages since last summer.  Some examples:

   Input:   http://www.lugnet.com/cool/?p=index.ftx
   Output:  http://www.lugnet.com/cool/  (left column)

   Input:   http://www.lugnet.com/cool/?p=site-145.ftx
   Output:  http://www.lugnet.com/cool/?p=site-145

   Input:   http://www.lugnet.com/cool/?p=site-143.ftx
   Output:  http://www.lugnet.com/cool/?p=site-143

As you can see, it's very easy to "slurp in" news articles, as well as to
make hyperlinks to any site, or to include images.  Even whole pages can be
"slurped in" by other pages.  For example, a typical Sunday LUGNET Spotlight
page simply includes (by reference) that week's CLSotW page, which shows up
inline:

   Input:   http://www.lugnet.com/?p=2000-02-27.ftx
   Output:  http://www.lugnet.com/?p=2000-02-27

   Slurped: http://www.lugnet.com/cool/?p=site-173

Richard Franks has editor privileges to the /loc/uk/ area of the website and
has made dozens of nifty UK pages using this editing system.

--Todd