 Local / United Kingdom / 2708
Re: Building Project at Euston Station?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:07:15 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Phil Traviss writes:
According to 'er indoors, there was a page on TELETEXT yesterday that told
of plans for a LEGO full-size(?) locomotive building project at Euston
Station, London. By the time I got home it wasn't there any more.

Anybody heard anything about this?

Phil in Yorkshire.

Apologies for the late response to this, but I've justed spotted some info on
this on one of the news wires (PA) from a week or so ago.  (Normally I do a
search for Lego on them every couple of days or so, but seem to have forgotten
recently.)  The details below have been rewritten to hopefully avoid any
copyright infringements.  It's possibly worth seeing if there was anything on
the PA website (www.pa.press.net if memory serves, I should really remember
given that I used to work for them :-)

- On Wed 12 Jan, Richard Branson was going to be at Euston at 11am when the
biggest Lego train in the world would be launched.  It lists the Virgin Press
office number as 0870 789 1111 if anyone cares to try them for more info.
(This story actually went out on the tenth.)

- on the eleventh, details on the train went out, but the story was embargoed
till the following day.  The details were:
6 metres long
1.5 million bricks
Built by 15 LLW builders over 10 weeks
Included vibrating chairs and a video screen (whether these were real
or modelled, it's unclear, but I presume the former)
The model appears to have been of one of Bransons new tilting trains
(presumably not content with having a bad reputation with customers already,
Virgin are seeking to resurrect the failure that was the APT? :-).  A few
general Lego details were listed, nothing that's terribly interesting or
surprising to LUGnetters though.

- a further story that day, with much the same content, mentioned that the
Legoland MD David Bradley would be unveiling the model with Branson.

- yet another stated that Branson was wearing a Lego crown and carrying a Lego
sword....

I;ve also subsequently checked the picture wires, PA carried 3 pics:
- one of Branson and David Bradley standing in front of the train.  The caption
states that the model will be on public display at the travel centre at Euston
for the next 12 months.
- a piccie of Branson with crown and sword in front of the train - about as
daft as you might expect :-)
- "Sam Cooke, 32" (a Lego employee?) wiping down the train.  This is the only
one of the three pics where you actually get a half-decent look at it.

These pics are definitely copyright protected, so I can't really post them
anywhere, or send them to anyone.  However, I'm sure everyone can easily take
their own if they care to visit Euston.

I also found on the picture wires, from 21st December last year, a picture of a
Isao Mihara (Toshiba engineer) with some small robot that's apparently made out
of a Lego body with Toshiba sensors.  To be honest, it looks a bit crap - MIBO
is far more impressive.  However, it looks like it has some sort of camera and
microphone for sensing things and voice activation - anyone know any more about
it?

Please feel free to forward this onto any other potentially interested groups
(lugnet.trains? lugnet.robotics?) - I'm afraid I generally only read .loc.uk...

Regards,

JS