 Local / United Kingdom / 2263
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:13:40 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

<snip>

I don't either, and that's not really my concern.  I was concerned about
the larger LEGO fan community looking bad as a whole, especially if others
began to follow suit with more retailer catalogs, or something similar next
year.  Everything seems to be going so well right now, so maybe that's the
problem.

--Todd

Well I've been sick all weekend and just read all this Monday AM.  I'm not going
to respond to any specific details, but I did want to say that Todd & Suzanne are
correct, and in one specific area (I won't get into the legal-ese).  We don't
want to "burn bridges" with TLC!

Right now TLC personnel are reading these posts.  At least they see that we are
treating this entire episode with thoughtful responses.  We are not into
clandestine "cloak and dagger" sabatoge.  We are dealing with this issue
responsibly.  Todd is not dictating to us.  He wants to protect the integrity of
LUGNET, and try to maintain good relations with TLC.  Right now there are several
avenues being pursued between LUGNET/RTL and TLC over their AFOL policies (or
lack thereof), and I don't want to see a lot of effort go down the drain.

I'm not going to fault Huw.  I might have done the same thing myself had I had
that information.  But the bottom line is we are trying to build a good
relationship with TLC, and this is not the way to do it.

On a different note, Ben Roller made mention of a 1993 Dealer Catalog, but I
didn't see any response to his question of whether he could post that catalog.  I
too have a Dealer Catalog, a rare 1970 Samsonite LEGO Dealer Catalog.  And yes it
talks about maximizing profits.  But that is the language that LEGO uses in
dealing with its' network of Dealers.  It doesn't offend anyone.

I'm sure that TLC understands that all LEGO items, whether they are Dealer
Catalogs, Dealer Windows & Door Boxes (from '57-'65), a TLC Dealer Catalog of
LEGO Display Items, or glued LEGO Display Buildings, none of which were ever
intended for the public, but all of which eventually found a secondary collectors
market (in my collection).   What are the ramifications for posting these?  If we
don't know, then lets get an opinion from TLC..

I do think that Todd has handled this responsibly, with public dialog, and not
telling anyone what they MUST do.

Just my 2 cents/pfennig/centimes,

Gary Istok