 Local / United Kingdom / 2247
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:48:16 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Richard Marchetti writes:
[...] but it did bear mentioning.  What I find objectionable is the public
way in which the matter is being handled.

That strikes me as odd, because if it were completely private correspondence,
then you wind up with something that's viewed after the fact by outsiders
(given the magnitude of this) as some kind of clandestine manipulation
manoeuvre, which is no better than "bullying" in my opinion.

Much better to throw all the issues out for public debate, IMHO, and sort
through things rationally.

If Todd or Suzanne objected to Huw's post, they should have simply removed
it from its currently viewable location -- and they are apparently
empowered to do so.

Technically, yes.  Morally and (not without a good reason) legally, no.

Perhaps they could have done so, and then written privately to Huw as
to WHY they did so.

Now *that's* something that I would definitely call bullying.

I personally fail to see how Huw's actions in any way
splashes mud upon Todd or Suzanne,

I don't either, and that's not really my concern.  I was concerned about
the larger LEGO fan community looking bad as a whole, especially if others
began to follow suit with more retailer catalogs, or something similar next
year.  Everything seems to be going so well right now, so maybe that's the
problem.

--Todd