 Local / United Kingdom / 2086
Re: e-commerce (was Technic shuttle etc)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:12:55 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Richard Dewsbery writes:

But then I see our system heading full-on into the same mistakes that the
American system makes (conditional fee arangements being the chief concern,
followed by a desire to sue anyone for anything).

Those, "Ever been injured, maimed or felt bored at work? Call us, we'll try to
sue the pants off them, at no risk to yourself." adverts? They disturb me too
it has to be said.

I'll confess to being a little concerned about those ordering 10 or 20 copies
of particular sets.  Whether those are at the big discount prices posted by
the Entertainer, or are OOP sets bought up from the UK by certain individuals
(usually stateside)preventing a "fair" distribution of the bounty seems
equally worrying to me - that's a value judgement too, but I won't be losing
sleep over what certain people may think of me for hoping to get a couple of
cheap shuttles when they were prepared to buy dozens of rare sets themselves
just a couple of weeks ago.

I don't have a problem with someone, be it from America or whereever, buying
lots of one set that were overstocked and are being sold off cheaply. However,
I do believe in "Play before profiteering", and I share your concern in the
event where someone jumped in quickly to buy up remaining stock, so that
someone who comes across the news a few hours later doesn't have a chance!

Not that the bulk-buyer doesn't have every right to buy as much as they do -
they have every right. Just that if I had a choice to tell 5 people about a
good deal, or one person who would buy all 5, I'd make everyone a little bit
happy instead of one person very happy!

As an aside - this topic is a very volitile one - I recieved my first and only
flamage, expressing similar ideas to yours regarding "fair distribution" a
while ago in market.theory :)

[...]

Where I go from here is MODB.  And that of the Entertainer, of course.

Not entirely. As in, you got your information from this newsgroup, so it is
natural that the newsgroup is concerned that:
a) Everyone doesn't try to make them come through on their bankrupting deals
b) Future relations with the company aren't ruined by this event. It is
   important for retailers to have a healthy attitude towards Lego.

If you wandered across the deal by yourself, and didn't read it first on this
newsgroup then would that be different? Possibly - because then you wouldn't be
part of the collective self-regulating responsibility.

Richard

Disclaimer: These opinions are not neccesarily my own, if pressed I will claim
  demonic possession and will present appropriate religious documentation. Thus
  any flamage would be a waste of anyones time!