 Local / United Kingdom / 2017
Re: Unified UK Lego community idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:41:31 GMT

James Brown wrote:

I have no idea about such regulations, but we quite happily brought 3 suitcases
and 3 carry-on (between 2 of us), and I am *positive* that at least one of
those suitcases was more than 75 pounds.  The only requirement I'm aware of
(not counting specific airline weight/size restrictions) for returning to
Canada is the customs requirments, which essentially is just "pay tax on more
than x amount of duty free".

I was going the other way. And I think the weight thing is mostly
airline imposed, it may vary from line to line, or even by class of
service, and may be waived by the counter agent if you're polite and
lucky. And I am always polite to counter agents, it pays very very well
:-).

The US customs gang in Ottawa(1), the first week, had a good laugh with
me when I pointed out that Lego is a class of good that is duty free.
They asked how I knew and I said I saw it on their own website...

http://www.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=176

The second week, they just said, "oh, THIS guy again" and waved me
through with a smile.

1 - Ottawa has a US customs right there in the airport. Handy. Means you
don't have to go through customs when you get to the US. Apparently the
officers are US citizens who live in Canada and get a pretty good deal
on housing etc, via allowances.