 Local / United Kingdom / 1364
1363  |  1365
Subject:
Northwestfest dates, times, names, pack drill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 12:39:39 GMT

I haven't had any cries of anguish at my last suggestion of the

11th of December,

so that will be the date.

Doors will open at 9:00am, or sooner, if there's someone hammering on
the door.

Doors will close after the last person has gone home. Preferably before
Monday morning.

Everyone is welcome to stay, as long as you don't mind fighting for your
own sleeping space.

I will reserve the whole weekend, so if people can only make the Sunday,
there will hopefully still be something going on.

No formal agenda. There will be:

- The usual all day ad hoc trading session

- A space port to show off MOCs or great sets from the past

- A mammoth tower building exploit (details below)

- Possibly a Pirate's quay, depending on how much spare time I've got to
  build something :-)

TOWER BUILDING

I've got about 15 feet of usable stairwell, so we can have a good go at
this.

To simplify the parameters a bit, I suggest the following definitions:

1) a base unit 48x48 studs at the bottom and 40x40 at the top. This must
be capable of supporting the weight of the tower. I nominate Liam for
this, unless there are any volunteers.

Although on second thoughts, I might do the base myself, and nominate
Liam to do the top :-)

2) multiple middle units which are 40x40 studs top and bottom. These can
be any height.

3) a top unit. This has a base which is 40x40 studs, and then you can do
what you like, as long as you stay within the 40x40 limit.

4) bearing in mind that this might get quite tall, all units must be
fairly strong, and have continuous surfaces at their top and bottom.

5) it is strongly suggested that a significant proportion of the load
bearing area on top of a unit is covered with tiles, so we can take the
thing apart without major catastrophes.

That's it. As this is a first attempt, let's keep it simple :-)

If you're interested in this idea, LMK, either by email or here, and
I'll co-ordinate the effort. It would be nice to end the year with a
positive co-operative effort from the UK AFOLs, and it would be a
landmark for future Legofests :-)
--
Tony Priestman