 Local / Singapura / *61 (-5)
Subject:
GBC in the Classroom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:10:58 GMT

We've just had our first LEGO Engineering Conference in Singapore with Prof
Chris Rogers as the Keynote speaker.
http://lsl.nie.edu.sg/lego.htm

Among other things I had the opportunity to give three presentations, of which
my favourite is the one on "GBC - A Fun Way to Learn Maths, Science and D&T".
Specifically I detailed a Rolling Ball Display Clock and its relevance to Maths,
Science and D&T.

My other presentations were on "Teaching Children Proportional Control using
ROBOLAB 2.9" and needless to say one on "Evaluating LEGO Air Compressors with
RCX and Control Lab". The models were also on display.

The slides can be found here for educators who might find them useful for their
classes.

Enjoy

CSSoh

Subject:
LEGO documentary on TV this Saturday (Hong Kong)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.hk, lugnet.loc.cn, lugnet.loc.tw, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:42:08 GMT

Hi, everyone...

A documentary called “Lovemarks-LEGO” will be broadcast for the first time this weekend. I was originally told it was going to be a full-length film about people’s passions towards brands like LEGO, IKEA, Starbucks (etc), but it seems it has been shortened to a half hour and will deal only with LEGO. (Maybe?)

Lovemarks - LEGO
Channel 51, Horizon
Saturday September 30th
8:30 p.m. (20:30)
Hong Kong

The documentary was filmed by Fuji TV in Hong Kong, but it may also run in other countries that have Fuji TV, or on extended satellite networks.

Last year, the filmmakers filmed a live model-build and interviewed both Nathan Sawaya and I as part of the documentary. They said they’d also interviewed other folks around the world, including folks from TLG.

Sean
- - -
LEGO Certified Professional
www.seankenney.com

Subject:
NJRC 2006 - Robots to go into water
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 04:35:57 GMT

This year’s National Junior Robotics Competition (NJRC) 2006 is more exciting
than ever. The organizers at the Singapore Science Centre has set some devilish
missions including one that requires your robot to literally go into water. To a
depth of 5 cm. Sounds like Mission Impossible?

Not for the students who make up the 397 Primary and 342 Secondary school teams
that are taking part in the competition.

http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/events.jsp?type=17&root=0&parent=0&cat=317

The Mindstorms RCX, motors and sensors are about to be tested to the point of
destruction.

A good time to get the NXT?

CSSoh
http://fifth-r.com/

where Robotics is the fifth R,
after Reading, wRiting, aRithmetic, and computeR

Subject:
Debut of NXT robot in a Singapore robotics competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 04:23:21 GMT

Among other types of robots, Telok Kurau Secondary School fielded an autonomous NXT robot in the finals of the East Zone Robotics Challenge 2006 which was held at the East Zone Science Carnival @ Victoria Junior College on 21 Jul 2006.

The NXT robot was able to follow the black line and go up the ramp to cross over to other other side of the playing field. This is the first time that a NXT robot has shown its prowess in a public robotics competition in Singapore.

Here the NXT is just getting onto the bridge. The ‘river’ is made of green beans.

More pics here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=195467

The EZRC 2006 is a robotics challenge for Primary and Secondary school students mainly in the Eazt Zone of Singapore. The purpose of the Challenge is to provide students with opportunities to exercise their creativity and problem-solving skills in the field of robotics. Details are at their web site: http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/S&Tcentre/programmes/robotics_challenge/robotics_challenge2006.htm

The EZRC 2006 is a robotics battle of sorts. Teams of 4 students have to build and program a team of one or more robots to compete against another team, with the aim of knocking over or capturing target objects in the opposing team’s sector, and also to defend the team’s target objects from being knocked over by the opposing team’s robot(s). The robots could be autonomous or remotely controlled via IR or radio control.

A wide variety of robotics hardware was seen at the EZRC 2006 but the NXT was clearly the latest of the lot. Remote control via Bluetooth is certainly an option in the near future.

Although Telok Kurau Secondary School did not win any prizes, it put up a commendable performance in that all 3 of its rookie teams got into the finals with just about 2 months introduction to robotics. And so they have survived their baptism of fire and now look forward to their next battle.

CSSoh

Subject:
Mitchel Resnick & NXT were here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 01:01:55 GMT

Finally got a chance to have a closeup look at the much talked about Mindstorms
NXT when Prof Mitchel Resnick (of MIT Media Lab) was here for the LEGO
MINDSTORMS Education (LME) NXT Regional Pre-Launch at the Singapore Science
Centre.

http://fifth-r.com/laosoh/robots/NXT/nxt_launch.htm

First impressions: the bots look rather bulky, don't think they will be able to
negotiate the narrower parts of the FLL 2005 field. And the line following was
kinda slow. Fun though.

Gotta have them, of course! Earliest delivery expected in August 2006.

CSSoh

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact