 Local / Nederland / 99
Re: ANWB Translation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 23:14:43 GMT

Thanks Sybrand.  Over here in New Zealand the comparative organisation is
the AA which can also be found in many other countries.

Sanjay

Sybrand Bonsma wrote in message ...
In lugnet.loc.nl, Sanjay D'Souza writes:
Could someone please provide a translation of the word "wegenwacht" which
appears in the ANWB set #2140.  Secondly, what does ANWB stand for?  I
presume it's Dutch but I'd appreciate an english translation if possible.

Thanks
Sanjay
--
LEGO Stadium @ Http://Homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jsds

I thin k`wegenwacht` can be best translated to `road assistance`.
ANWB is the abbreviation for `Algemene Nederlandse Wielrijders Bond', which • is
translated in English as `General Ducth Bicyclists Union'. Notice the term
Bicyclists: The union was originally founded over hundred years ago, if I • am
correct. At that time it was aimed at bicyclists, as there were almost no • cars
present, to help them with nice places to visit, making signs to show how • far
it is from one place to another etc. When more and more cars appeared, the
union also wanted to help them with the same information and provide help • when
the car won`t drive anymore (This is the service provided by the • `wegenwacht`).
Now, the main interest of the ANWB is at the automobiles, although they • still
provide maps for cycling trips.

Sybrand Bonsma