 Local / Nederland / 664
663  |  665
Subject:
Rebuilding starts after fireworks disaster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:56:18 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello all,

Last year a complete district of the city of Enschede (the Netherlands) was
destroyed by an explosion in a Fireworks depot that was situated in the
middle of an urban area. Many people lost their lives or were wounded and
even more lost their home. This disaster had a big impact on the Dutch
society as a whole but now the time has come for people to pick up the
pieces and plans for rebuilding the district have begun.

OK, so far this doesn't have a lot to do with our beloved LEGO bricks but
read on. This morning I saw an item on Breakfast TV which featured LEGO. It
turns out that the urban developers and architects have asked the (former)
residents of the district to give their ideas on how it should be rebuild.
The children of former schools in that district were asked to make plans for
rebuilding their former neighbourhood using LEGO bricks. The developers are
seriously looking into the ideas the kids came up with and are planning to
use them in their designs.

Not that I need to explain this to any AFOL but this proves that LEGO is
more than just a toy...

Regards,

Wessel