 Local / European Union / 151
150  |  152
Subject:
"De Bouwsteen" mentioned in LEGO LIFE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.eu
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 22:34:23 GMT

Hello all,

Our Dutch LUG "De Bouwsteen" got an honourable mention in the March issue of
LEGO LIFE. LEGO LIFE is the global, internal house newspaper, published for
employees of the LEGO company all around the world. I quote:

Co-Operation: Fans help LEGO Company

The working relationship between private LEGO clubs and LEGO Company
departments gets stronger every day. The most recent example was LEGO WORLD
2001, an arrangement in which the Dutch club De Bouwsteen (The Building
Brick) helped LEGO Shows & Events Benelux by supplying 80 volunteer helpers.

The event was attended by no fewer than 27,500 people - which kept the
admission turnstiles whirling. Paul Wolters, member of De Bouwsteen and
manager of the volunteer team, says: "The attendance figures took us all by
surprise - we were kept so busy we hardly had time for a lunch break!"

Paul Wolters believes an event of this nature is importaint to De Bouwsteen.
It gives the club the oportunity to build new LEGO models an participate,
for example, in MINDSTORMS events. Paul: "The obvious advantage for us is
that we are allowed to build models for LEGO Benelux."

De Bouwsteen is a Dutch club with a membership of 500 adult enthusiasts. The
club has previously helped LEGO Benelux to build LEGO mosaics and a wide
range of LEGO models for shop display. Co-operation was the key to success
at LEGO WORLD 2001 in the Dutch city of Zwolle. The event was the biggest
venture ever between a private LEGO club and the LEGO Company.

LEGO Benelux was delighted with the joint event, and the organiser, In-store
& Event Manager Roy Cordes of LEGO Benelux, says: "Members of De Bouwsteen
have often given us an expert hand, and even before LEGO WORLD 2001 we
worked closely with them. Thanks to the success of the 2001 event, we intend
repeating it in 2002."

By Line Kyed Mikkelsen, trainee, Global Company Communications

- End of quote -

And indeed, LEGO WORLD 2002 will take place from October 18th through
October 22th, (and a build-up day at the 17th)
Anyone that wishes to attent as an exhibitor, partly as well as for the full
length of the event, can already inquire about sleeping arrangements,
by sending an E-mail to Hans Beuze:  hbeuze@home.nl
Please ask the more general questions at this forum.

Also, I hope that this article encourages all the recently evolved but
growing LEGO clubs in their effort to obtain a strong relationship with
their local LEGO devision.

With friendly Greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

Editorial note: in the quoted article I've corrected the misspelling of
Paul's name, and I've changed the mis-translated word "figures" into "models".