 Local / Danmark / 283
Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:50:43 GMT

Hi Brendan,
The site belongs to www.church.dk which is a common site for the
Danish Peoples Church.
The Subdomain "ung-jul" is a section for kids (translates to
young-christmas).

The story line _is_ frightening similar. However, are there many
alternate ways to tell that story?
My knowledge of the bible is a bit dusty, so... :-)

But it does look like someone has had knowledge of your work prior
to building that sequence (identical setting, wording etc. scene
by scene).

There is no recognition of The Brick Testament as far as I could
tell.

If it where me, I would probably send them a kind email, explaining
my concerns. At least asking them to recognize your work as well.

Regards,
Carsten Straaberg
http://www.lugnet.com/~1722

"The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith" wrote:

Hi, all.

Someone e-mailed me today to bring my attention to a website that is
"ripping off material" from The Brick Testament:

http://www.ung-jul.church.dk/Englen_Gabriel.1163.0.html

Needless to say, the phrasing of the e-mail was a little disconcerting, so I
followed the link.  The site is in Danish, so I can't quite tell what's
going on, but it seems to like someone in Denmark is doing something very
similar to The Brick Testament, but not actually pilfering any images from
my site.  I can't claim an exclusive right to illustrating Bible stories in
LEGO, so this doesn't seem like something to be too concerned over.

An interesting issue, though, is that although this person's illustrations
are originals, their story is plotted out *exactly* as mine is.  I mean, I
did not write the Bible, but I did pick and choose certain passages from
different gospels together in a particular order to tell the "Jesus Is Born"
story.  From what I can tell, this person seems to be doing an
illustration-for-illustration copy of the way I put together the story.  You
can put two browser windows sides-by-side for some interesting comparisons
such as this one:

http://bricktestament.com/jesus_is_born/lk02_06-07_mt01_25.html
http://www.ung-jul.church.dk/Jul_for_f_rste_gang_.1174.0.html

If anyone who reads Danish could take the time, I'd be interested to know if
this website recognizes or links to The Brick Testament, and what sort of
larger website this illustrated LEGO story is part of (seems like one run by
a church?).  Or if anyone knows a website that can transalte Danish to
English, that might help.

Over the past year I have received many offers from people interested in
translating The Brick Testament into their native tongue, including Chinese,
Portuguese, French, Norwegian, Spanish, and Danish, but no one has ever
followed through.  (I imagine this is partly because it's a pretty enormous
task, and partly because I do not allow anyone else to host the images from
The Brick Testament -- I tell them to send all their final work to me, and
if I approve of it, I will put it online for them and give them translation
credit).

Judging from this page, it seems to be a kid who behind these constructions:

http://www.ung-jul.church.dk/2_produktionen_af_LE.1195.0.html

I don't want to squelch his creativity -- as rudimentary as some of his
scenes are, there is some clever stuff here.  But I guess I would like to
know whether his material is being presented as a wholly original work (with
no credit given to The Brick Testament), or as some sort of homage.

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this.

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith