 Local / Canada / Ontario / 209
208  |  210
Subject:
Nearly last call for Hobby Show participants
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:38:15 GMT

As many of you already know, The Hobby Show in Toronto is fast approaching.  The
dates are November 7, 8 & 9 / 2003.  This is the first full weekend (Friday,
Saturday and Sunday) in November.

The LEGO builders booth that I have been organizing is coming together nicely.
We have a number of people signed up to participate; both rtlToronto members as
well as other builders from across southwestern Ontario.

However... we still have room for more people to participate.  As a result of a
recent get-together with some of the rtlToronto people I know there could be
some questions/concerns you may have that might be causing you to hesitate
joining in the fun.  I hope I can address a few of these issues right now:

a)  We are not 'representing' the LEGO company.  We are only representing the
LEGO hobby, as people who enjoy the hobby for whatever reason.  The LEGO company
is not sponsoring the booth, though we have been provided a 'What Will You Make'
event kit that should help to dress-up our display and please some of our
younger visitors.  But it's important to note that this is not a LEGO Roadshow
booth.

b)  Based on the first point noted above, we are under no obligation to wear
LEGO branded T-shirts or name tags.  Once again, this goes back to the fact that
we are not representing the company itself.  Some rtlToronto members may wish to
wear their group T-shirts, but even that is left to individuals to decide.
Other participants (myself for example) may wear an event kit T-shirt one day,
but something without any LEGO connection at all on another day.  The point
being is that you can feel free to be yourself in the way you dress and act.

c)  rtlToronto members who are participating in the train layout and/or the bot
bash are welcome and encouraged to bring along other models that don't fit into
either of those two events.  In other words, if you've got a static model that
you built for fun (perhaps a Star Wars MOC, a castle, a fire station, etc. etc.)
then please know that there will be room to display it and that it is strongly
hoped that you will bring it with you.

d)  The setup for the booth will begin around noon on Thursday November 6.  This
may benefit you if you can't attend the show until Saturday or Sunday for
example.  You are welcome to bring models or other gear to the show Thursday
afternoon, Thursday evening or even Friday morning.  Then return to the show to
participate in the booth when you are able to over the weekend.  If you can only
be there for one or two of the three days, you are also most welcome to attend.
Basically, come when you can, but I do need to know soon if you can come at all.

e)  If you can't bring any model at all.... you are still welcome to attend.  We
will have lots of things to help with behind the booth.  Participating in
running the booth, even without bringing a model, would be a big help.  I
realize that some people may still be shy or reluctant to bring something out in
public.  And that is why the invitation to help with the booth is out there.

f)  Size doesn't matter!  Bring any model you want; large or small.

g)  There will be barriers to help keep the crowds back a small distance from
the tables.  Your models will be as safe here as any model cars, trains or other
expensive and delicate hobby items brought to the show.

h)  The building has night time security, so models left there will be safe.
Keep in mind all of the other hobby booths leave very expensive and fragile
models overnight as well.

i)  We aren't selling anything.  This is a display-only booth.  Bring a model, a
group of models or any type of LEGO-related display you want.  That's all that
we're doing in our booth.  If you know The Hobby Show, you know that some booths
are run by stores or other vendors who sell hobby-related merchandise.  We do
not have a related vendor booth, but have been kindly invited by the show to
display our work.  If you're still not sure what the show's all about, please
see:  http://www.thehobbyshow.com or email me at the address below.  I will be
happy to answer any other questions you may have.

I hope that by clarifying some of these concerns I can encourage a few more
people from this area to participate in the show.  If you think that might be
you, please email me ASAP at:

HobbyShow@apotome.com  (please include the words 'Hobby Show' in the email)

I will get you on our group mailing list so that you can receive further
information and any updates.  Since the show is so close now, this is the last
call for anyone wishing to receive a show pass (free entry!).  Beyond that,
people are still welcome to attend, but you'll have to pay to get into the show.

Thanks for your time!
Allan B.
http://www.apotome.com/hobbyshow/index.html