 Local / Canada / British Columbia / Vancouver / 128
Re: A hint for the 2001 sets for you Vancouver folks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:47:38 GMT

Yeah, that's the place.

I got the snowspeeder there a week or two before I had seen them anywhere
else, which I think was released at the same time as the Y-wing/tie.  They
did also have the other sets as well, at that time.

I haven't been there in a while, actually, I live in Calgary now, so it's a
bit of a drive now.  I don't know who you talked to there, but every time I
asked someone there about the Lego, they said they didn't know, and I should
ask the manager, but I never did specifically talk to him.

Also, it seems some places get the new Lego earlier than other places, it
seems that it shows up on the east coast, and creeps west, so that usually
explains why it shows up earlier in some places.

Anyway, I don't know how well they know each product they carry, or anything
like that, all I was saying is that in the past, they've had some new Lego
earlier than other places.

-Adam

In lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, Thad Jantzi writes:
Is this the toy store in Peninsula Village on 24th Avenue??

  I believe it is, and if so, something changed from the last time I went
in there!
  It was mid March of 1999. I had been going into Zellers and TRY every day
for about two weeks, looking for the very first SW sets. So FINALLY one day
I find the Y-Wing/Vader's TIE in the White Rock Zellers. Okay fine, I buy
one. On my way home I stop by this other toy store (which I believe to be
Jack in the Box). They have none of the Star Wars sets. I ask they guy there
when they are getting the Lego SW sets. He tells me, "May 3rd." I ask him
how come? He tells me: "None of the new SW toys are coming out until May 3."
I tell him he's wrong... I tell him the new SW sets are on the shelf at
Zellers right now. He gets really upset and says that someone must be in big
trouble at Zellers, because ALL the new SW toys are due to come out on May
3. I knew darn well that the Episode 1 toys were coming out on May 3, but
that the Classic SW Lego sets were out already - and had been in stores
elsewhere in North America since the very beginning of March.
  The guy argued with me, and I thought to myself: "This store's bogus.
This guy runs a toy store and he doesn't have a clue about the release of a
pretty darned important line of Lego. So I never went in there again. I'm
glad to hear he seems to have gotten his Lego act together.

  I guess this came off as overly harsh... ah well. It just irritated me to
be told by this toy store guy that I didn't know what I was talking about.

- Thaddeus (who will go back in there, next time he's in the WR area.)

In lugnet.loc.ca.bc.van, Adam Murtha writes:
Greetings Vancouver.  I just wanted to share some info on a store that I
lived near, in South Surrey, called Jack in the Box toys.  I found it to be
a good source for the newer sets, they even had the Star Wars sets when they
first came out before anyone.  They even had some of the older sets, but
that was a while ago, and I had posted info on the way back here:
http://news.lugnet.com/loc/ca/bc/van/?n=92

Just something to maybe check out.

-Adam