 Local / Canada / 934
Re: To ladder or turbolift?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:15:46 GMT

  I didn't know that CV-16 was still afloat!  It was converted
  along with the other Essex-class carriers still in service in
  the 1950s to have the angled flight deck, and redeployed as
  ASW ships in the late 1950s.

Ah, the infamous 27C's.  Canada was offered one for $1, to replace Bonny (HMCS
Bonaventure, the 3rd (and last) RCN carrier.)  Although they were designated as
CVS, the 27C's had a definite capablity to fight.  Phantoms could fly off them
(just), as could the scooter (A4).  But, the bigger jets were problems for
them, and they could not be launched with a full weapons load (or full fuel
load, and weapons).  I think there is a bit in "Flight of the Intruder" (the
book) about the 27C's.

James