 Local / Canada / 324
Re: Ok Larry: US vs Canadian Discounts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 06:15:53 GMT

James B wrote:
Zellers is decent.  About the only place to routinely discount (15% once a
month)... Sears and the Bay are also good places to go - their prices start
5-10% higher, but because of that, they often have older stuff, which can be
caught on the rare Bay Day, or the like.

Zellers is 10 mins down the road from me so it's my local, and I have
found interesting stuff there (like just after Xmas, an Ice Planet Ice
Sat V and two Crater Critters!). They tend to do 20% off sales before
Xmas and 15% off the rest of the year. The Bay is now advertising itself
as "we will not be undersold on toys" and their prices on newer sets are
teh same as Zellers (not surprising, same parent co). I got 2 Mindstorms
before Xmas at 20% off at the Bay. Sears seems to be pricing better on
the new sets (though still higher than average) and they do have 20% off
every so often, and of course there's the Sears Outlet store ( a dozen
Fort Legoredo at $55 CN each!).

Walmart, however, has the best everyday prices, by about 10%.  They're also
the only place I've seen run a "clearance" sale, pathetic though it may be
compared to US clearances.

The lowest regular prices here are at the Canadian Superstore, although
Walmart comes in second. Superstore only seems to have sales just before
Xmas though. Walmart is the place for what seems to be bulk purchases of
overstock sets from Lego: eg 8277 Giant Model Set for $19.99 CN (!) and
the current Time Train for $19.99. Great parts set! They don't seem to
have across-the-board sales but sometimes specific items will be on
clearance.

Kevin

--
Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com