 Local / Canada / 1643
1642  |  1644
Subject:
VIA dome cars replaced by very colourful Eurotrash
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 20:45:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Greetings,

I've always loved the stainless steel VIA trains, with dome (aka bar)
cars, that run within sight of my home in Halifax.  When I saw an
article in my local paper about Via replacing them with a new fleet of
"Renaissance" passenger cars, I was saddened, but thought, here's an
opportunity to model some new trains.  Then I saw them.  They wouldn't
let me onto the platform to photograph the cars, so I had to take some
pictures standing on a picknic table in the Superstore parking lot.

The cars were originally built to go through the channel tunnel, and are
narrower than other trains.  This is particularly obvious in the picture
showing the current VIA engine.  VIA had a press release about them when
they first bought them.

http://www.viarail.ca/corporate/en_bkgdr_20011116_renaissance_passenger_cars.html

The colours around the windows are darker and lighter than the 'teal'
colour that LEGO has made (used in Rock Raiders sets among others).  The
roof and lower part of the train are dark blue, and the stripes are
yellowy-orange.

They are being phased in on the Halifax to Montreal run starting in
July, and by the end of the year they will be the only thing running
here.  Sigh.

Gail Meagher