 Local / Canada / 1148
Re: Canada Lego Fest ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:12:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Adam Murtha writes:
I've expanded this thread into local.canada in hopes of more Canadians to
voice their opinion.

Like me!  (Not that I'm shy about it, though. ;)

Back on topic, the reason I moved this to loc.ca is to get the rest of the
Canadian AFOL and Canadian LUGS involved, since this thread was only in
Montreal's, Toronto's and Ottawa's groups.  I'd REALLY like to participate
in something like a Canadian Brickfest, but Ontario doesn't seem very central.

Unfortunately for us in the west, Ontario is the demographic middle of
Canada, even if it's kilted 1/3 of the way east geographically.  Like you,
this means that I'd be pretty unlikely to attend something in that area.  If
I had lots of notice (6 months *minimum*) and could get cheap rates, I might
fly down, but it's out of driving range.  Out of driving range means out of
"bring cool stuff" range, out of "don't need to use holidays" range, out of
"split the travel cost" range, etc. :/

While I'd love to attend Brickfest, or a Canadian (Toronto) Lego fest, or a
thing down in San Fran, I just can't justify it unless it's within a day's
drive (which can be 12-14 hours, with 2 drivers).  So Vancouver, or Seattle
or Winnipeg (Or Yellowknife, I guess) are the effective boundaries of
something I'd put serious effort into attending; and I'm willing to push
that limit farther than most.(1)

Some days, Canada is too darn huge.

James

1: Fuzzy recollection from my con-organizing phase puts something like 70%
of "potential attendees" not willing to travel more than 4 hours.