 Local / Australia / 9257
Re: Building experience with a non-AFOL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 06:32:48 GMT

So there you have it... anyone else want to share their stories of attempts
in building with a non-AFOL?  Just for amusement value anyway ;)

I'm not surprised an adult without Lego experience would have trouble with
building with Lego. Most of us learned the basic techniques as kids by using
Lego's instructions and then lots of experimenting. Even as an adult, I am
constantly learning new techniques all the time from Lego instructions,
pictures on brickshelf, discussions on LUGnet, etc. We have to learn to read
before we can write and this is true of Lego as well. We have all got many
"design patterns" or "sub-assemblies" (or whatever you like to call them) built
into our brains, especially for our favourite building style.

Even simple things like overlapping the bricks on each layer rather than just
stacking them vertically is something that a newbie wouldn't necessarily know.

Kerry