 Local / Australia / 7942
Re: Lego in Sydney Morning Herald 28-12-01
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 07:16:38 GMT

Inbetween all the smoke and haze,the SMH has put lego onto the cover of the
business section today

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0112/28/biztech/biztech9.html

Although it doesn't use the word "juniorisation", the article is touching on
that theme. However, I found this comment a bit surprising ...

"But the kind of products Lego made transformed the company, too, injecting an
element of unease among some Lego veterans. Long a manufacturer of a dizzying
array of colourful bricks that required the touch of a child to become a real
plaything, Lego started producing more and more ready-to-use figures, such as
the Star Wars kits it brought out in 1999 under licence from Lucasfilm."

What exactly were all these "more and more ready-to-use figures" in the Star
Wars kits?

If anything, I would have said that Star Wars had more reusable elements than
other themes, rather than less.

Just bye-the-bye, I was at a Christmas BBQ and heard a number of parents
(mostly mothers, and none were AFOLs) talking about Bionicles, along the
following lines. The first one said "I bought some of those Bionicles because
the kids wanted them, but now that they've built them, it seems you can just
build the one thing from them. You can't mix them in with the rest of your
Lego". To which another parent said "yes, it's a bit strange they call them
Lego when you can't use them with Lego. You would think they'd only use the
Lego name when they could be used with Lego bricks." There was a general
murmur of agreement and then someone said "they might be cheap but they don't
have any long term value like most Lego is". And then someone said "it's
rather like those Roboriders and Slizers the last two Christmases, they really
are just a present for now, and they lose their appeal quickly". And then
someone said "and those dinosaurs are even worse, you can just change them
around a bit and that's all". And so on.

Interesting how parents are quite capable of spotting "juniorisation" and
disliking it, yet are buying it anyway because the kids are asking for it.

Kerry