 Local / Australia / 7689
Re: Review of Hogwarts Express
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:12:11 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Frances Schroeter writes:
The Hogwarts Express my daughter won recently arrived today. As it rained
all day, we spent the afternoon putting it together. Kathryn (aged 5) was
able to put together the Hogwarts train platform, and also perfectly able to
put all the stickers on straight (something I have difficulty with at
times). She also put together the bottom half of the train carriage, found
it a little difficult to do the top half so I did that and then she asked me
to put the locomotive together as she was tired of it by then. I found the
overall appearance and design very good, the only thing I was very
disappointed about was the wheels, but I was already aware of that failing
and had ordered train wheels and bogie plates from Lego S@H last week. I
feel that the Hogwarts Express would have been better off to have come with
proper train wheels and bogie plates, even if the designers planned it as a
push-a-long model. In the past Lego had trains that came as push-a-long and
then could be turned into battery operated or electric trains later on, and
I feel they would have done better to do this with the Hogwarts Express, it
would still have had the same or even better play value.

Thank you for your review Frances!
Trains) just purchased a Hogwarts Express (Wal-Mart price match for $37.88!)
and put together the Locomotive and lower portion of the Passenger Car, with
my help, then let me put together the rest for him.  When we finished, we
tried it out on his track after adding 4 4x4 turntables so the wheels could
turn on his curved track sections.  It works fine this way as a strictly
push along model, but we decided to scrap the Hogwarts Express wheel
assembly and snapped on the bogie plates and train wheels from his
Metroliner and added the train motor to the rear of the Locomotive.
Perfecto!!  It works like a charm and he loves having the red engine on his
large oval track.  He is now saving his allowances to buy more train parts
and track from Shop At Home and is learning to do his own MOC!!!!  I think
that this was a great deal in a train and it is teaching him to plan his
creations and save his money for a certain goal.  Hogwarts Express is a real
gem, and we are now building (together) a Coal Tender for the model.  While
this set may not come with everything you might want out of one box, it
certainly does have an open-ended design that is bringing him back to buy
more LEGO product (likely to be a TLC goal).  Here's how I rate it (1-10):
Fun To Build--> 9
Playability--> 9
Piece Selection--> 6
Modification Potential--> 10