 Local / Australia / 6934
Re: More train questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:06:40 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Adam Wood writes:
I'm thinking of adding a new section to my Lego collection... Trains!!! I
can see great potential in a Space / Train / Mindstorms cross-over. So my
question is - Monorail vs. Standard - What's the -real- difference?

Monorail = Single Rail, Standard = Two rails
;)

But in the case of lego they aren't the same type of rail anyhow.

I know that a while ago Lego produced a space monorail set. Do Lego still
produce monrail sets at all? In regards to their wheels, are the Monrail and
Standard interchangable? Is there any puritist thinking among the die-hard
traineys?

Monorail is no longer made/supported by lego (although if it is released as
a Legend set, it may be brought back, but then this applies to any theme).
The only real way of getting a monorail set or extra monorail track is by
the usual means of finding older lego sets (ie newspaper ads, garage sales,
ebay etc..).

The wheels are NOT interchangeable, the monorail consisted of two carriages
with a motor inbetween with a toothed gear that matched the gearing on the
monorail track. The Standard rail consists of typical metal wheels on metal
rails.

Getting into trains is expensive, but very much fun, the only problem is,
the more trains you have, the more track you need, then you'll want more
trains.....

As for purist thinking, I think thats a question to ask in lugnet.trains and
then take cover and watch the arguments fly! :)

Santosh