 Local / Australia / 6881
Re: BUGS Brikwars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 06:46:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.bris.qld.au, Zac Soden writes:

I've trimmed the bris.qld off because, let's face it, no one really uses the
location groups much anyway. Besides, this may be applicable to other .au
groups.

Hi all,
In my time off the computer, I dug out and read through the brikwars
rulebook and thought "I gotta have a battle!".

I'm guessing that was the 2000 edition. Rumours abound about a newer version
coming.

I whipped up a bunch of minifigs and vehicles and assembled them into
armies and forced my brother to have a battle. It didn't work too well seem
he didn't want to play.

Finding victims, err, opponents is always a trouble.

So I thought why don't the BUGS have a brikwar. It doesn't have to be an
official Bugs meet; all you need is a minimum of two players and somewhere
to play.

2 players, at least 30sq.feet (2 and a bit sq.metres) lots of stuff to fight
around (if it's LEGO all the better, it blows up nicely!) and at least 2
hours (the amount depends on the number of 'figs involved and how well the
players know the rules).

In all my excitement, I went and constructed myself a whole starship pirate
army so if we do have a war, it would be cool to have it space themed.

Sounds fun. Pity I'm not near Qld. But enjoy anyway.

What do we think?

We've had several battles (see the STUDS site at OZbricks)
*sound of whiffling through links* ah here it is...
http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/stud/welcome.htm
check the brickwars links under the meeting dates.
As well as the three listed we've played 3 more games.

What do I think?
Brikwars is a fantastic system, and Mike has put a lot of work into it for
which he should be congratulated.

However. Unless you're a wargamer, really like sheets with numbers on them
or are just plain strange, the brikwars rule system feels slow and unfun
after about 5 minutes of playing (about 1/4 of the way through the first
turn usually). When we've played we've (by default) ended up with a very
handwavey and vague game (occasionally inconsistant too -mea culpa) . We've
tended to put the emphasis on storytelling and really cool actions rather
than recreating the differences between a longbow drawn by a skilled archer
with many years training vs a crossbow shot by a complete bjork.

For this reason I suggest reading Brikwars rulebook for ideas and then
gently putting it on a table and ignoring it. Look up James Brown's Legowars
rules for a much quicker system and then ignore much of that too. Fly by the
seat of your pants, make stuff up as you go (try to be consistant, but don't
obsess about it) and listen to other players, if they're happy it's a good game.

There will be some strange stuff on the table, take some time at the start
to talk about what people are using. Don't worry about giving aways state
secrets, it's too late to build now. The hardest parts of gaming to deal
with are when you want to put down a harmless looking belville puppy and the
other player wants to tell you it's a insane rotwiler on steroids with a
huge bite, foaming teeth and a bad temper who leaps on the hapless gunner
and eats him. Make sure everyone has the same idea about the odd stuff, It
doesn't matter if you field an advance energy weapon in a medievil game,
just as long as everyone knows that's what it is.

Secondly, don't be too attached to anything you put on the table. If you
can't stand the thought of a model being blown up, don't field it. The best
games are often when (nearly) everybody dies and lots of stuff (vehicles and
buildings/terrain) get wrecked. Remember, if you're telling a story with the
game important characters often aren't "really" dead, just "mostly dead" and
can bounce back for the next game.

Other than that, the most important thing is to have fun, if it starts to
get like chess, with players thinking over their moves and plotting
strategies, introduce the "cat of doom" or something else to liven it up.

ZaC Soden

James (who is working as an apprentice fate-master)