 Local / Australia / 6489
Re: LEGO trivia of the week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:54:27 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Baulch writes:

"Benjamin Whytcross" <b_whytcross@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:GFwDIs.4sF@lugnet.com...
I thought it was getting a little quite around here, so I've decided to
start a LEGO trivia of the week posting. I'll try and add a new item of • Lego
trivia each week, but everyone can feel free to add their own items if • they
wish.

This week:

In 1980, the most expensive LEGO set available in Australia was a BASIC • set,
beating even the biggest technic set then available.

Without checking, I'd guess it was the set with the yellow bricks,
trans-blue elements, gray radar dishes and motor. It's a huge set, I
remember drooling over it when I was a kid. Nowadays I'd balk at the yellow,
though. Yellow's hard to use, especially since they brought out so many tan
elements.

--
Cheers,
Paul

Yep, I hadn't planned it being a guessing competition, but it was indeed
this set [744]. It sold at $66.95, while the most expensive technic set
(8860 - car chassis) sold for $56.95.

Incidently, I also used to like the look of this set, but the other 2 7+
basic sets of the same era now appeal to me more [722 and 733]...maybe
because the model seem more realistic...I don't know.

BTW, I'm working on a list of Australian names for as many lego sets as
possible...The dark shark will once again return to its correct theme :)

Benjamin Whytcross
LUGNET member 407