 Local / Australia / 6274
Re: The commonfolk's FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 10:17:37 GMT

In lugnet.people, Shiri Dori writes:
Finally!

The answer to all the questions you wanted to but never dared to ask.

The commonfolk's FAQ is here:
http://www.lugnet.com/faq/~88/

There aren't so many questions up yet, but feel free to contribute! Any
questions and/or answers will be gladly accepted. I will do my best to
provide answers for unanswered questions. Plus, if someone knows how to
pronounce Selçuk's name (Selçuk?) please LMK. ;-)

I am not even going to try on that one!

-Shiri
XFUT .faq

<taken from the above link>

'Why does Australia consider itself an entity separate from the rest of lugnet?'
hahaha... I guess this all depends on which way you look at it... not to
mention what kind of mood you are in :) or in my case know/'don't know' what
you are on about - IMPO we are a small, yet large country and isolated from
the rest of the world. We are though... proud to be Australian's!  But being
isolated does have it's good points to on a geographical and a political
scale etc.

Yet this makes it hard to converse (not everyone has the internet either) on
the same level with other surrounding country's.  I mean how many people
seriously post from NZ or Antartica? (let me contact those LEGO Polar Bears
and see what's the go) or even Indonesia etc.

I guess in our own way we are a tight knit and stick together with little
that we have.  Our Knowledge isn't the same standard (as many items are not
available) as say Europe or USA when it comes to LEGO... there isn't much
here regarding LEGO and trying to find any LEGO obscurites on our own ground
is rare!  I guess this is why I (personally - cannot speak for others) tend
to hang around on ebay and brickbay... if I want something then I have to
look overseas... I go to the store and either I have everything (almost) or
I wait till the next release dates... unlike EU or USA etc... and then you
have the cost factor too.  The internet is our biggest market.  I think for
some it's kind of hard to get into conversation when half of us probably
don't know exactly what some are really on about with certain items or "what
is the point when we can't get them anyway" type thing.

I think I buy more from overseas than in my own country.  This may seem
terrible to some but what choice do you have when the items you are wanting
are not available here?  What we have here on Lugnet with our loc.au etc is
precious to us.  We are like bricks ourselves and connect together with our
meets and our postings about who and where the sales and goodies are.  That
is all we have unfortunatly :/ We are "The Brick Wall" :) (coming soon to a
website near you).

I am probably wrong with what you really mean by the question but I think
there will be atleast one more of 'us' who will understand what I mean here
and I am sure for some out there from the Intern side that they too can
understand certain parts of my comments!  I am writing in a 'in-general' way
and not a "OM MY GOD WHAT DO YOU MEAN" way :)  and yes I do need some sleep!
ZzZzZzZ...

It's here that I will say that LEGO isn't the only way we get let down... As
far as any entertainment goes we are wacked.  Bands and other musical groups
struggle to get out here... video games and what-not are not always
available but are everywhere else and it's the same with many other
things... while the world is beaming with excitement aussies yet again look
towards the net in obtaining their overseas goodies!  (LEGO Gameboy games
won't be available in Aussie for example - only importers can get these).

So with all that and everything else I decided not to blabble on about...
that is my theory and what is currently on my mind :)  Please don't take it
the wrong way cause I am in a happy little mood :)

On another note... I have started to get out and look at other groups more
now so get used to me and my silly daggy sense of humour :)

See ya round like a LEGO Pizza... ok so I am a Dag :)

Mel (now pass me the Vegemite)

she'll be LEGO apples...