 Local / Australia / 5538
Re: Hi all (again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:36:28 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Timothy Gould writes:

Hi everyone

Just got back from the UK where my adventures took me to Legoland,
daftly expensive shop-at-home and to ZERO Lego stores (I didn't know
there was a big pretty one in London).

First off I shall rave about Legoland. It's small (smaller than
Dreamworld and with some similar rides) but we don't care about rides.
We care about LEGO!!!

Miniland is very cool. I took some photos which I'll develop and scan
(in the near future I hope) but it is impossible to pick up the level of
detail and grandeur in a disposable camera.

The rides are moderately passe. Standard themepark rides but with models
everywhere around. Models are cool, long-lines for log-rides are not!!

The store is rather large and neat with an impressive range of generic
merchandise, of which I now have a mug (named and all) but nought else
(if it don't click it ain't a brick). I also got some small things that
aren't or weren't available in Aus like some SW collectibles and a
Bionicles priest. Due to the exchange rate, I was not going to spend big
(and big it would have to be).

My one S@H purchase was a Mosaic of my ugly mug (although due to a lack
of access to a scanner the pic barely resembles me but I have many
spares so I'll probably use the pick on the fake Brick-o-Lizer for a bit
of improvement). I warn everyone, if you want stuff like this, meet and
American and beg them to get you one. The UK is just TOO expensive.

Oh well. I'm at uni supposedly beginning my PhD thesis so I should stop
rambling about Lego.

C Yall

Tim

Hi Tim,

Shame we couldn't meet up while you were here. Glad you like the trip, apart
from the price of everything. S'posed to get better when you earn pounds,
but I've yet to feel better about it ;-)

LLW is a pretty amazing place. I've got hundreds of pics which I want to get
up on my website soon, when I get the time to sort them out. Advantages of
digital, although my harddrive does not agree. Unfortunately the Big Shop
there has gone downhill since last season (pun intended, slight location
joke for those who know that the Big Shop is at the top of the hill at LLW).
There was heaps more on sale just before it closed for the winter, and I
nabbed some pretty cool bargains, even converting back to Aussies.

I hope you're not referring to Hamleys in London (pretty big shop?) as
expensive is not quite a strong enough word to describe the total pants
around the ankles robbery which passes for retail pricing there. Most of my
shopping is done at LLW when there are sales, otherwise the supermarket
chains such as Tescos, Woolworths and Asda, and the catalogue shop Argos are
the best bet. I should have mentioned that before you came over, but it is a
bit of a hit and miss affair with the bargains.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Pete Callaway