 Local / Australia / 5310
Re: Essential nature of mankind
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 06:22:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
Last semester I took a continuing ed. course on the age of British scientific
exploration; chiefly that of the Pacific and Australia.  IMO, the worst
British atrocities in all of the Empire were committed in Australia against
the Aborigines.  The professor teaching this course made the interesting
point that when the ideas of Social Darwinism really took root in the western
mind, the true atrocities began in Australia.  Prior to that time, the
British  had indeed seen the Aborigines as savages; but entirely human and
redeemable.  The ideas of Social Darwinism, however, granted intellectual
permission to the British Crown for the wholesale slaughter and expulsion of
Aborigines from their land. Aborigines were by this time seen as a relict
species of crude humanity; a people that had survived by chance the selection
of evolution and who must now make way for civilized man to supplant them.

Is this the black armband view of history or what! I think it's telling that
the present govenrment refuses to apologise for a policy that was so
explicitly racist. Apparently Aboriginal settlements were the inspiration
for South African apartheid.

Never asserted or meant it was a consensus. Let's talk about the leadership:
the power behind the leadership was the church in one way or another.
Monarchies of the time maintained that the king was appointed by God.
Therefore, the king was only doing God's work. Think of Galileo getting
shafted for saying the earth wasn't the center of the solar system, in fact
just an ordinary planet circling the sun? That sort of religious ignorance
is what I'm talking about.

Agreed.  But the king often did merely his work, and religion be damned.

Or as in the case of Henry VIII, if the Pope gets narky you found your own
religion.

And one final point:  Being born of an ethnic or nominally Christian
culture/ heritage does not make one a Christian.  By such rationale, many
of us are guilty of religious crimes.

Well, we do what we can and help those in need. That's the best anyone can
expect and we shouldn't have to answer for the crimes of our ancestors.

What if the "crimes of our ancestors" continue to have an impact on the
descendants of their victims? In the case of theft of land, what kind of
reparations are appropriate?

--DaveL