 Local / Australia / 5042
Re: Australian Bidpay experiences
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:44:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:
What are the charges and exchange rates like for Australians using Bidpay ?

I assume they use the current US exchange rate, which seems to match the Oz
pretty closely. The charge is a flat US$5 for each transaction, which is a bit
more than a US$ postal order / postage, but heaps quicker / easier. The seller
gets an e-mail as soon as it's approved, all sellers I've dealt with ship when
they get the email. The MO is then sent first class.

   As a recipient, I've had no problems with it.  (And, of course,
   in Pete's case, I don't worry about waiting for any steenking
   email, whatever the method.)  I have never used it to make a
   payment, however--the cost has always been too great a percentage
   of what I'm actually spending.

They also have a limit of US$500 per transaction. and they don't do private
sales.

   That's the only real problem with it, IMHO--I wanted to handle
   a direct sale from Japan with BidPay once, and it was only possible
   once he'd won an auction from me.  But I have had nothing save good
   experiences, and the buyers in Japan, Singapore, and Australia
   have also had no problems that I know of.

   best

   Lindsay