 Local / Australia / 499
RE: Where did you lot spring from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 00:07:04 GMT

Strange isn't it how 'international' now seems to mean 'US and maybe
elsewhere if you're lucky', isnt it. [and 'elsewhere' have to endure US
designed/oriented info/prices...and US mis-spelling.]

[Maybe it's the way I was brought up, but I can't stand the way that
american spelling [and culture (or lack of :) )] is replacing the Australian
[and probably most other nations]].

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsary..Growing up isn't :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Santosh [mailto:santosh@student.unsw.edu.au]
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 9:28 AM
To: lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Where did you lot spring from?

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Callaway writes:
<snip>
As a whinging pom, I don't feel particularly 'alienated' by • US references
though, how about you Aussies? :)

Not so much alienated as peeved to the hilt with all the • service options given
to the US that are not offered worldwide. I'm a moderate • person, but there
have been times when I've made my computer blush due to the • colourful language
I've emitted after reading a few posts, mostly about S@H, • LEGO Outlet stores
and most recently LEGO Direct. Even the Dacta shipping • policy struck a raw
nerve on one occasion. But the recent LEGO Direct • developments are a real kick
in the guts for Australia (and NZ, and everyone else who • doesn't live in the
US). Sorry if I upset the new Lugnet/TLC relationship, but • the last post from
Brad Justus really gave me the irrits.

I think Todd and Suz have done a marvelous job of creating a • neutral zone for
all AFOL's to meet in cyberspace, where international • boundaries can be
broken. Having the .loc groups is a stoke of genius IMO, as • it still allows
people from different regions to "talk shop" without • worrying about cultural
or language barriers, and gives the place a more personal feel.

Better get off my soap box before I break something.

I'm in agreement with Peter here. Initially I didn't have
many expectations
about Lego Direct, but after the latest announcement there is
almost no hopes
of anything beneficial for anyone not in America or Europe
(in the foreseeable
future).

I think the design of Lugnet overall is brilliant. The
strucutres is not
biased in anyway towards any certain groups/associations etc.
The feeling of
US-Centric is by the fact the majority of users are from the
US. Here's a
deal: All non-US people will put with US
news/comments/whinging as long as all
US people put up with all non-US news/comments/whinging.

The one issue that is possibly emphasising a "US-Centric"
feel is incorrect
posting, Benjamins example is a good example. Whats a
Walmart? (I know don't
worry).

Keep on Tracking
Santosh
(Trust me I will become a member very shortly, just need to finish my
industrial training and return to being a bludging university
student with
plenty of free time ;0)