 Local / Australia / 4923
Re: Endless uses for Lego #43552
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 04:15:35 GMT

A Lego brand VCR? wow that would be neat. Although..

Initially the VCR would be relased in large blocky elements in only a few
colours, however after a few years of steady growth in the market, the
component pieces would get smaller, the colours offered would be higher, and
the quality of the VCR's would be much greatly improved.

The VCR would of course have other uses other than the intended picture on
the box, it might be used as a vacuum cleaner, a sofa or perhaps even a TV.
This is essentially what made the Lego VCR the top choice amongst VCR buyers.

But naturally, the usage of VCR's has declined, and in an effort to keep
sales of Lego VCR's continuing to a new generation, the Lego company has
moved to single one piece VCR's that do not do anything else, yet can be
setup and used within seconds of purchase.

Unfortunately the simplistic assembly and the limited use have meant that
after the intial hour or so of enjoyment with the VCR, it simply gets pushed
behind all the other new fantasmagormic products (right next to the BETA
player).

In a way I'm glad that Lego would never do anything as silly as that.

Santosh

In lugnet.loc.au, David Drew writes:
Hi,
I had the discomfiture of having my VCR break down the other day. Being an
engineering graduate, rather than do something silly like take the VCR to an
company that repairs such things, I decided to have a look at it myself.

An inspection indicated that the problem was a broken elastic band that acts
as a drive belt between a motor and some gearing which loops the tape media
around the heads.

I immediately went to my technic box, and grabbed a selection of technic
elastic bands, such as those used in the 8002 destroyer droid, and many
other technic sets. There was one which was exactly the right size, and
looked like a perfect replacement. Sure enough, after a couple of minutes of
fiddling, I had a perfectly operational VCR!

Yet another example of the endless uses for Lego.

later,
David Drew.