 Local / Australia / 4574
Re: Is this fair or what?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:52:45 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Melody Brown" <Black666beast@hotmail.com>
To: <lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2001 11:41 AM
Subject: Is this fair or what?

I just recently won something on ebay... at a rather nice price but the
chick who I won it off not only wants to charge me for postage but also a
handling fee of $7 USD.  I have NEVER had someone charge me that before...
Is this allowed??? Mel

I have never seen this handling fee in any of my auction wins. Sometimes, a
person will charge US$5-10 to cash a foreign check, but they always state
this up front.

Any unexpected costs, such as those incurred via cashing, are generally
borne by the seller unless explicitly stated.  If the seller is unsure as to
what these costs could be, they generally just add a bit to their reserve
price, so they are covered for any unexpected charges.

If I was buying something less than US$50, I wouldn't pay this 'handling
fee' at all. If the set was over $150, I'd probably pay it, as it's not much
more money. In between, I'd decide on whether the set was a bargain (as I
see it) or not.

Ask them what the charge covers. If it's valid, such as check cashing, I'd
consider paying it, but if it's a 'to cover the cost of driving to the post
office' charge, ask them to waive it, as it was not stated in the auction.
If they stick to their guns, pay it, but give them a negative feedback
rating, since they blindsided you with this charge.

later,
David Drew.