 Local / Australia / 4489
Re: Sydney trip in April... accommodation/lego/shopping etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 06:04:44 GMT

I can't really help with accommodation matters, so I'm probably not being
very useful - sorry about that.

To get from the Airport to the city you can either go by Bus or Train (You
could Taxi it too, with two adults and a baby it might be worthwhile). Buses
I are about every 20mins into the City. Keep an eye out for the yellow and
green Airport Express buses, last time i caught them, the ticket was about
$5 one way for an adult, might be a bit more now. These buses go right from
the Airport right into the middle of the city.

Trains are about every 10 mins and go into the city areas too. Though the
stations at the airport are privately owned, so the cost including the train
ticket to use them is about $11 per adult.

At that time of night there wont be much traffic, i think the taxi idea
might be best, especially if you know exactly where to go, just tell the
driver and they'll take you there rather than messing around with which is
the nearest stop etc...it'll be dark, late (its raining today too) and with
the baby..
Leave the transport exploring to later.

In terms of shopping, the city is actually not that brilliant, there are
more shops out in the suburbs at the large shopping centres such as:
Chatswood, Parramatta, Penrith, Burwood, Miranda (this could be quite a long
list).
But in the city itself, there's Grace Brothers on Pitt St mall, they usually
have a fair bit.  Unfortunately, Sydney city itself isnt too brilliant for
toy stores.

The only place that springs to mind for accommodation would be the Central
Youth Hostel, though I don't know if that'd be appropriate or not. Its right
next to Central Station. I hope others can help you in terms of somewhere to
stay.

Santosh

In lugnet.loc.au, Melody Brown writes:
Heya... I am just hoping someone in Sydney can recommend me a nice budget
priced accommodation in the central part of Sydney (we are flying, therefore
have no car).  And who do I contact about Airport Shuttle or whatever to get
me to the City (we leave Brisbane at 8:40pm at night, current Brisbane
time). If someone could please help me with some details, that would be
great, I just don't have much time at work to look, nor when I get home (as
by the time I get home everyone in Sydney has gone home).  I have the
flights booked/paid  but I don't want to pay too much for accommodation (for
two adults and a 20 month old baby boy).  Haha and errr I have been told to
stay away from Kings Cross area even though there are a ton of accommodation
there.  If someone could help with some info, I'd appreciate it!!! Also
where do I find the best lego selling shops???

Mel