 Local / Australia / 392
391  |  393
Subject:
Probable reason for our poor/small range (was RE: Probable effect of GST on LEGO)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:57:42 GMT

Possible explanation of why we don't get soccer sets in Aus (There could be
some minor errors in this, but I believe [based on past phone-calls to LA]
that it is accurate):

In order to get Lego sets in Australia, TLG sends images of all sets being
produced for the next year [except promo's like Shell, which are shown to
Shell's head office only]. These images are then shown to the buyers from
the retail chains eg Coles-Myers[Myers, K-Mart, W4K], Woolworth's chain
[Big-W], Toy world, Toy Kingdom, and any others I can't think of. These
buyers look at the images [And probable costs too, I'd assume] and say 'Yep,
That should sell' (Hopefully whoever said that about time-cruisers isn't
still a buyer), 'Yep, we think kids will want that', 'Nope, Costs too much',
or, in the case of the soccer sets/znap/scala, 'Nope, Don't like it myself,
so I've decided kids in Australia won't like it' [Remember, this could be
wrong, but you probably get the general idea]. LA then takes this info, and
puts together the range of sets to be released in Australia (And adds in
small 'impulse' sets [$4.25 or so RRP]. This is now the range of sets
released in Australia

eg.
Global range from TLG => LA => Store buyers => Retail range
OR
Global range from TLG => LA => Store buyers | [notice brick wall...sometimes
it also comes just before previous arrow too.]

Unfortunately, until we infiltrate this store buyers club, we have no hope
of getting the sets that would sell instead of the sets that will still be
on the shelves in a year or so. the only way around this is to go to every
Myers/Toyworld/Toykingdom/place with a Toy department, and try to order the
soccer sets. This will result in LA getting a large group of orders for the
sets, and hopefully they'll be added to the range. [OR, we may actually see
them later in the year anyway, as it takes at least 2 months for the set's
to arrive here, compared to Europe. The order forms at the moment are for
sets released up to May/June, and as the soccer sets are being released in
Europe in June, they may be in a later order...we live in hope]

Remember..IANAL, and as you probably guessed, don't work for TLG, or as a
retail buyer :(

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsary..Growing up isn't :-)