 Local / Australia / 3531
  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) It's wrong, but not for that reason. It's wrong because it's an adjective, and adjectives don't really have plurals. But in popular usuage, it's a noun, and there's no reason for it to not have a regular plural. And people do say "I drank a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) Thank you Matthew. And because I've had two hours sleep in about forty I'll just point out that 1. fast and red are in fact adjectives, hence the first example, and 2. Coke is a trademark and a proper noun (like LEGO) hence the second example. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Treacleheads (was Re: Sticking it to Todd (was Re: Clones Database))

(...) It's normal language behavior. People call Netscape Navigator "netscape". I even know people who (not so much now, but a few years ago) call Microsoft Word "microsoft". No one says "may I have a kleenex facial tissue". It's natural to treat (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)