 Local / Australia / 3309
3308  |  3310
Subject:
In praise of Blockmen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:45:50 GMT

Afternoon all,

Having encountered Blockmen for the first time in Australia (at Big W), I
have some heretical words of praise.

This stuff is not a competitor for Lego.  They don't make many different
blocks (its as though they assume that you will complement their stuff with
other brand blocks).  They have simply aimed their product at the very area
Lego refuses to contemplate - military, in modern desert army, modern jungle
army, and future space army iterations.

The blocks seem to be pretty good, the price isn't quite as bad as Lego, and
the non block elements (sandbags, barbed wire fences, guns, pipes) are cool.

The vehicles suck, being complete elements, not built of blocks, and badly
proportioned (so ignore them :-).  I plan to build vehicles for them out of
adventurers.  I note from their website that they are bringing out a good
looking humvee, but again, its not made of blocks - its a humvee model with
studs on it.

For a wry smile, check out their website, particularly
http://www.blockmen.com/bios/bios.htm

I wonder to whom they refer when they speak of the 'clone-like little weak
people' ;-)

In the meantime, I foresee the odd Blockmen element turning up in BrikWars,
and even wonder at the battlefield impact of a squad of Blockmen, running
around and 'hut, hut, hutting' in a way not really credible for gormless
smiley minifigs.  I remember reading with irritation about how Lego required
that the BrikWars rules be written generically, without specifically naming
or limiting the game to Lego.  Perhaps Lego *wanted* us all to rush out and
buy other brands to use them with BrikWars :-)

Cool by me.

Richard
Still baldly going...
(and vaguely disquieted about earnestly discussing what is credible
battlefield behaviour for a minifig)