 Local / Australia / 2801
  building a bicycle -- can it be done?

My husband (a keen cyclist) asked me if I could build a geared bicycle with a derailleur using Lego. Your thoughts? Obviously, I will need a fair bit of chain, but the new Power Puller may solve that problem. The cluster will need to have at two (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: building a bicycle -- can it be done?

The biggest problem you will find is that each LEGO Technic gear is one brick wide, except for the smallest one which is slightly more than a brick wide. Set up four or five of these side by side and your bicycle is going to look more like an (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: building a bicycle -- can it be done?

(...) You mean the thinnest tech gear which is about 1/2 a brick wide? :) (the thin bevel gear, that is-- too bad they don't make 1/2 brick wide chain!) (...) Perhaps you could build a FUNCTIONAL one that wasn't "accurate" with a transmission and (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au)

David Eaton <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message news:G07p2s.MF8@lugnet.com... (...) brick (...) thin (...) No, I said smallest. Bevel gears aren't the smallest. :) (...) Possibly. but it would be fun trying methinks. (...) weren't (...) small (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.technic)

  Re: building a bicycle -- can it be done?

I have a solution for the coasting problem. This method allows the wheel to move without the pedals moving and even allows the wheels to move forward if the pedals are moving backwards. The pedals drive one axle of a differential. The other axle of (...) (24 years ago, 2-Sep-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: building a bicycle -- can it be done?

Very nice solution. But we're building a bicycle, not a car!! Differentials are ungodly bulky things, but for technical accuracy, they might do the trick!! Have to upgrade the elephant cyclist to a hippo or whale now! ;-) Cheers ... Geoffrey Hyde (...) (24 years ago, 2-Sep-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: building a bicycle -- can it be done?

(...) Well, I have to agree-- the differential is an elegant solution, but a little more complex than necessary... a single ratchet does the trick by itself without really needing the differential. I'd say that there's also the size issue too, but (...) (24 years ago, 2-Sep-00, to lugnet.technic)