 Local / Australia / 2785
RE: Lego DACTA in Australia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.dacta
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 05:05:48 GMT

Good...It's not just me who doesn't get responses from MOORE educational.

BradJ/Lego Australia, if you're reading this, could you do something about
the lack of any form of communication with this company. Even just a reply
saying that they don't sell to non-educational facilities would be
appreciated. After all, Their lack of communications doesn't reflect well on
your company, and certainly doesn't help you with sales. That said, it would
be nice to know if we in Australia are able to order these items [DACTA} and
if not, why we aren't and yet those in your prefered market [1] have ready
access to them.

[1] The usual complaint...an "international" company giving preferential
treatment to 1 country, and gradually downgrading treatment to other
countries. (Or at least not spending an equal amount of effort on them.
After all, once you've got a reasonable situation in the main country, you'd
be a lot better off trying to build up other countries, instead of still
focussing on the one going well.) The problem with this is that they
eventually end up either only operating in the prefered country, or if they
survive in the others, it's in a very diminished condition with low market
interest.

And there are a few clone brands going reasonably well over here too, now.
Even BestLock [which I saw 5 or 6 different sets of in Geelong on the
weekend] seem to be doing well. In fact their prices are a <expletive
denoting a warm location deleted> of a lot better then Lego, and if their
quality picks up, I may go over to them, as their models are certainly not
juniorized, anD there's plenty of good parts in them. [Like the large
buckets (4950 has one). BestLock's ones have two end pieces, and 2 or 3
centre sections [1 for a backhoe], allowing anyone to change the size of the
bucket with 2x2 plates/tiles to hold the centre pieces together.] If they
could build their models to an accurate(ish) minifig scale, I'd be buying
them instead of Lego for sure.

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)