 Local / Australia / 2773
2772  |  2774
Subject:
The Lego Price War!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 05:38:25 GMT

Hahahaha I totally agree with basically everything I read with what Ben
writes, well done boy! )-(under Lego Direct?) I have spoken to Lego reps and
Lego Australia myself and it does seem that the whole idea with Lego and
(including New Zealand) the current situation goes that if we do not watch it
we will have no Lego.

Anyway our prices are very high as are New Zealand's (when I was in Wellington
in Dec atleast).  I get so depressed when I look at the American Toy sites and
see buckets of Lego for $5.99 WOW! (or castles at $79) I would seriously buy
10 of them at that price if we had things that cheap... I know many people who
would buy more Lego if it was cheaper but no instead they go for the other
cheaper types which in my opinion are no where near as great as Lego (and I
would never opt for that either - LEGO is the best Quality Brick around) but
THEY ARE affordable compared to Lego, which is why I see many parents at the
large toy stores filling their carts up at Christmas time with these inferior
brands.  I personally would spend a lot more money on Lego if I knew I was
getting my money's worth, BUT! NO I have to wait till they are on sale, LONG
LIVE 20-25% OFF SALES! (it's the only time I really see Lego disappear off the
shelves - *sigh*, actually the other best time is when K-Mart have '20% off'
Lego or toys then they bring in '15% off' store wide on top! WOOOHOOO :)))) -
doesn't happen very often though :( ).  Yes! that is the only decent time to
buy Lego, atleast you can feel somewhat happy knowing your money is well
spent, and I also find I tend to spend a bit more (anything upto $100 more).
Which makes sense that if all our Lego was around the prices of say The Soccer
Sets (I also think the New Dino range isn't as bad as I expected in price) we
would be able to push a little bit further and spend more.  No-one wants a
nice little set that costs $110 set and get it home to open it up and
think "well where did my money go?".  In other words if I had $100 to spend on
Lego and found a few sets at say $56 each I would be able to get one knowing
well I am not going to get much so then I would have to get smaller sets to
make it look worth while.. so I see a set for $25 so now I have $19 left
over... I see some sets for $11 so I buy one and maybe another at $8... I have
spent my money - Total is $100 and 4 sets.  It is now sale time... Target have
25% off, GREAT better than nothing!, so I have $100 again I buy all the sets
above and still have $25 left over but knowing I have 4 sets already and $25
left over, I might think about buying just a little bit more... Cool I just
spotted a set that is $49 knowing if I buy it I save $12.25 (Brilliant!)all I
have to put into it is another $11.75 - Sweet As!.  So cool I have spent
$111.75 and have 5 sets of Lego and I am a happy person.  Who knows maybe I
might even decide to grab a few more sets considering the price of them won't
be as bad as usual).  When I do go to the shops and look to buy Lego and it is
20-25% off time, I see the shelves are empty compared to the normal days, I
know that when I bump into another parent in the Lego section we tend to have
a chat and they ALWAYS say it's the best time to buy Lego for their growing
children (I also see many kids in there with their parents and fumbling about
to see which is best for their pocket money - they won't get much these
day's). Parents have so much to buy as it is for their kids and trust me some
of the stuff they do need is expensive as it is.  So when it comes to Lego
parents want the best for their money, they will not buy their kids one set
knowing they are about to pay $89 for it and think that isn't even one of the
larger sets - Geee's.  At Christmas time I buy my kids Lego but I tend to get
the smaller sets as I feel they are getting more and more for my money (in
amounts that is).  If I have $100 and I wanted to buy them a large set I am
not going to get much and I feel bad that, that is all I can afford for them,
$100 each.  If Lego here was much cheaper, like Christmas this year the soccer
sets, I bought my son the large set cost $33.75 for the field,($25% discount),
$13.46 for the bus x2, $7.31 for the stands x2, another stand $10.46 x2 cost
me all up $96.22!!!  BRILLIANT! 7 sets for that much! WOW!  Now that sounds
more like it, yeah I bought them on the sale but still.  I feel happy knowing
that is what I bought for that amount and I know if I wanted to I can buy more
as it isn't going to cost me much, maybe I will spoil him this christmas and
grab the other two buses (and maybe more :) - easy!... you tend to spend more
knowing your money is well spent and that you can feel happy with what you
have purchased!.  Well ok so I dragged on abit, but it shows you what some
people out there are thinking as far as the prices go with Lego! - thats my
10c Lego gold coins worth!

Oh before I go, the Lego train set which when I called Lego it was $340? (I
know it includes postage) through them... I bought mine from Myer at $192!
(with 20% off) BIG difference :)... MEL!

(nothing I said above is meant to offend anyone and I am not directing
anything at any particular company, lable or person - it's my opinion only!)

***Lego "please keep these AWESOME Lego prices such as the Soccer alive!, no
wonder they are on the third shipment of it) it's AFFORDABLE!" Thanks...***